Sign in to follow this  
Limitation//Moon

Essential VIRUS protection **Tutorial**

----ESSENTIAL VIRUS PROTECTION----

This guide is purely based on my knowledge and experience,feel free to add and point If there has been any harm before,- NP

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

:CONTENTS

:Virus Meaning: : : `

:Spyware Smashing:

:Firewall Fortification:

: :: : : :

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

What is Virus ?

A virus is simply a program that spreads itself. It should not necessarily be a malicious program, although they normally are.They can be written using programing languages.

PROTECTION

Owning a anti-virus software and update it is enough i think,as much as we can do. Some of the most popular antivirus software makers are Grisoft,Norton, McAfee , and Panda Software. The prices on these products generally range from . While they are all excellent, As much as we pay for AV IT CAN ALSO BE GOTTON free. avg ANTI VIRUS is a great antivirus program that is free for personal use. It is a fully functional antivirus program that is easy to download and install. iT INDEED IS A PERSONAL, but you do also have choice to upgrade into the professional edition...while for normal home user FREE EDITION will do the job. I would highly recommend giving AVG a try out first if you're in the market for antivirus. Save Money!

There are also other AV in the market which are free but ridiculous, My experience with clamwin AV is ridiculous.

SOME FREE ONLINE ANTIVIRUS SCANS

Sometimes you may find yourself in need of an antivirus scan, You may also not yet have AV, So thanks god we have free online Virus scanners, such as...

Trend Micro House Call

Panda Antivirus Scan

SPYWARE SMASHING PROPAGATION

WHAT IT DOES?

This is the MAJOR pain,in todays cyberworld. As much frustration we have with virii's we have equal frustration with spywares.

According to dictionery.com defines Spyware as "any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes; also called adware." Spyware is increasingly becoming a security and privacy concern for home users. While some users are not as concerned with the privacy violations of spyware, there are other affects of spyware that are derogatory.

It can, for eg, hijack your homepage (change it and not allow you to change it back), spawn popup ads (even with popup blocking software), and add irremovable bookmarks. Also, as they are running processes they will consume system resources.PC goes so slow...(this is a symption,even if you feel right that you have nothing) While one piece alone would not consume very much processing power, when you have fifty pieces installed it starts to add up. I have seen this, been through this and hunted in here biggrin.gif

continue...

Edited by Negative Phreek

WHAT SUD I DO?

There are many companies and programs out there that deal solely in removing spyware. sOME OF THEM ARE GIVEN BELOW, REMEMBER: They are fre as well.

Ad-Aware

This program is free for personal use. It is developed by Lavasoft, a company headquartered in Sweden, and is frequently updated. You can download it from download.com or lavasoftusa.com. It is free for personal use.

Spybot

This program is great when used side-by-side with Ad-Aware. What one misses the other catches. Spybot tends to be stricter on what it classifies as Spyware. It is a very good program and comes with loads of features that an advanced user will love. It is also free for personal use.

HIJACK THIS

HijackThis is a tool, that lists all installed browser add-on, buttons, startup items and allows you to inspect, and optionally remove selected items. (taken from HijackThis' website.) This can be very useful when manually removing a piece of spyware or browser plugin that refuses to be removed by Spybot or Ad-Aware. A word of warning, though, be VERY careful when using it. It is possible to damage your system. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE REMOVING SOMETHING!!

WHAT SHALL I DO IF SPYBOT OR AD-AWARE SAYS IT CAN'T REMOVE IT?

Sometimes, Spybot or Ad-Aware will have trouble removing a piece of Spyware. This is JUST because the Spyware is running in the background and it cannot be deleted because of this. To correct this, simply boot the computer into Safemode (this is generally done by pressing F8 upon bootup and selecting Safemode, although sometimes it can be a different F-key depending upon your BIOS) and run the scans from there and it should most likely be removable.

TIPS ON PREVENTING SPYWARE FROM INSTALLING IN THE FIRST PLACE

Spybot and Ad-Aware are great for removing spyware, but what can you do to help prevent it installing in the first place? There are a couple things.

SPYWARE BLASTER

This program will prevent many spyware from installing in the first place. Spyware Blaster works with Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. It is free for personal use.

what browser sud i use ?

Internet Explorer BROWSER THOUGH IT'S M$ owned isn't a best browser. This can allow spyware to be installed much easier, not to mention that it makes your computer much easier to exploit.... I would personally recommend either MOZILLA or firefox. Mozilla is an open-source project that is a web-browser, IRC client, Mail-client, and web-development tool. For more information visit Mozilla.org. It is completely free. Firefox is the Mozilla browser only. It does not include anything else; it is a browser, plain and simple. As it is developed somewhat separately from the Mozilla browser, it tends to be one step ahead of the Mozilla browser. It can be gotten from here. Both Mozilla and Firefox come with a built-in Pop-up blocker. This helps a lot with spyware as quite a few spyware originate from popup windows. The Mozilla Project developers also produce a free Mail-client called Thunderbird that is an excellent alternative to Outlook Express. Users will find it goes nicely with Firefox and its built-in Junk-mail Filtering to be extremely nice. Ops!

continue.......

FIREWALL FORTIFICATION

Remember: firewall do not always block virus invasion

WHAT IS A FIREWALL?

A firewall is basically a piece of software or hardware that allows or denies internet access to programs on your computer. It allows or denies access based on what the user tells it. Most (not all) hardware firewalls do not monitor outgoing connections, only incoming, so if you're looking for more control, chances are you will be going with a software firewall.

FIREWALLS

Firewalls are nice all around protection. They help prevent virus, trojan, and spyware infections and help thwart crackers who attempt to break into your computer. While they can be a little pain to set up at first, once configured, they sit dociley in the background quietly doing their job of helping protect you.

HOW THEY WORK

When a program on your computer tries to access the internet the firewall will stop that attempt and ask you whether or not you want that program to have internet access. You then tell it either to give it internet access this one time, always give it internet access, deny internet access this one time, or always deny internet access. (Don't worry, if you mess up you can always change it.) This very useful when it comes to Trojan Horses. (A trojan is a program that opens a backdoor on your computer through which a cracker can have access to your machine.) By denying a Trojan internet access it renders it harmless.

Not only do most firewalls monitor connections that your computer creates, they also monitor incoming connections from other computers, also. There are generally different levels of strictness you can set your firewall on. Play around with it and see which is right for you.

GOOD SOFTWARE FIREWALLS

Windows XP Firewall (comes installed)

An extremely basic firewall. It does not have the ability to deny internet access to programs. You will most likely want to turn this firewall off and use a real firewall. If you have Service Pack 2 installed the firewall is a lot better, but I would still recommend downloading a third-party firewall.

Sygate

I used this, but have since migrated to Kerio. I found it very nice and out of the way. It seems to work very well and its logs are very clear and easy to read. This firewall has a thumbs up by me. It has a free version with all the necessary features. You can choose to upgrade to get more, although I did not.

Zone alarm

This is highly recommended by almost everyone, although personally I do not like it. It is free to use for personal use. You can choose to upgrade (for a fee) and you get more features.

outpost

This free firewall is comes highly recommended by many people. It is free, but offers an option to upgrade to the Pro version for those who would like a more customizable firewall.

Kerio

Kerio personal firewall is available free for personal home users. It is a limited free version but still comes with quite a few features. This is the firewall I use and out of all of the ones I've tested it is my favorite. It seems to have the most amount of features out of all of them and hasn't cause any trouble in the time I've had it. This is my firewall of choice.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Run updates for all your software regularly,everyday if possible! Spyware and Anti-Virus Scans are not nearly as affective if they do not have the lastest definitions installed because they can catch the lastest malware!

Run Windows Update regularly! It will patch your system against many known Windows flaws that Microsoft has discovered. This is an absolute must. Doing everything but this still leaves your computer wide open!

Good luck and Have a super day !

Edited by Negative Phreek